Pages

Wednesday 28 December 2011

A busy Christmas week!

Well my plan was to blog again in the New Year, but I feel like I have too much to talk about to wait until then, and am also likely to forget stuff!

I knew that training would be tough over Christmas, but if you need to do something, you need to do it so there is no use moaning, just get out there and get it done! There is no running group for a few weeks, so this stuff I would need to do on my own and it's where the miles really are starting to stack up, so yet again friends from running group stepped up and in came the offers of running with me over the holiday period. I'm lucky that many of them are running Silverstone half marathon so they are looking to increase their own mileage.

So now I have my training plan it really is all systems go, its pretty scary and looking at the number of miles that I will be running is quite daunting. At least now I have something to follow and I can organise my runs around work, which really helps.

So last week I had 4miles and 5miles to run :) followed by a 12 mile long run :(. I was pleased that I had some shorter runs this week. I arranged to run the shorter runs with girls from running group and both runs were great, although again I noticed that my pace was slower than it had been a few weeks ago.....I need to get back to spin class, and fast!! I decided to get myself an early Christmas present, and bought a Garmin forerunner 205 watch to keep an eye on my pace and track my runs acurately. I have since found out that it was the best present I could have bought myself! I love it! I just need to work out how to use it properly!!

Christmas Eve was great. I took myself off to parkrun in Leamington to support the runners, I didn't really fancy a run and as my pace is slow at the moment I worried that I would just annoy myself by getting a rubbish time! There were loads of Regency Runners taking part so it was a good opportunity to see people before Christmas and cheer them on. It was a great atmosphere up there, and it seems a record turn out, with well over 150 runners taking part! I also got to meet a 'twitter friend' (@porcelinatweets) up there, always nice to put a face to a name and have another person to run with!

The runners setting off!!
Regency Runners Helen and Sharon finishing in 32 minutes!

I had planned to run 12 miles on Boxing Day. However, after staying at my Dads house where they have central heating I was full of cold and couldn't breathe, not good! I knew that I needed to go early if I was going to get the 12 miles in before the visitors started to arrive but there was no way I could get round 12 miles like this! So, I decided to take myself out for a quick 3mile run, and with my aces new watch, I was able to pace myself around and got close to a PB, brill!

I went out for my 12 miler the day after Boxing Day, along with running watch and running belt. This made such a difference as I was able to take out my phone, drinks, keys and jelly beans....rather than just leaving everything at home as per usual, plus it was really comfortable and I hardly noticed that I had it on so I will definately be buying myself one in the New Year. The run went really well, I was so pleased! Again I had company from Sharon and Claire from running group for 8.5 miles which was so helpful, especially over the last couple of miles where I was really struggling with pain in my left hip, something that has been niggling me since a silly fall a couple of weeks ago and that I am trying to pretend isn't there for the time being!

I was able to keep an eye on my pace during the run with the watch and tried to stay under 12.30 minute miles. My last long run was terrible and when I looked at my splits I was averaging on 13.30 minute miles.....far too slow! So, when I got home and looked through the data on the posh new watch my average pace was 12.30 minute miles! Ace! I was also quite consistant as each mile was between 12.25 and 12.45, apart from one at 12.05.

So, going into the New Year I'm really happy with how things are going, lets see how the 13 miler goes on New Years Day!

1 comment:

  1. Well done for running over Christmas especially with your hip injury. You are inspirational as ever :D

    ReplyDelete