Pages

Wednesday 21 December 2011

London Marathon.....all systems go!!!

So, now that 10k is out the way, its all systems go for London Marathon. Eeek!

I met with Rachel from Regency Runners at the beginning of the month, she is one of the leaders and as far as I know, is the only one that has had experience of a marathon. I needed help with getting a training plan together as I had no idea what I was doing! I felt that Rachel was the best person to ask, she knows what I can do and she also knows me personally. She was fantastic at helping me put the plan together as she was so organised, knew exactly what she was doing and was taking into consideration my limitations. All the leaders and runners at Regency Runners have been so supportive....more of that later on!!

So Rachel set me the task of a 10mile run on the following Sunday. I mapped a route and asked if any of the runners from group wanted to join me. I knew that it was going to be really tough as I hadn't run this distance since I ran Great Birmingham Run in October, so I knew the company would be great! I was really taken aback when I had offers from 6 or 7 people who wanted to run part of the way with me to make sure I had company all the way around, what amazing support??!! I finished the run - 10.5miles in 2h15minutes, I wasn't that pleased with the time but the important thing is that I ran all the way. So, a good start!

Since then I have been sticking to my training plan, I have kept to running my week day runs on Tuesdays and Thursday evenings with Regency Runners and running into Leamington to meet with them to add extra miles. I have found that the increase in miles has slowed my pace down but, as I was told the other day I'm not going to come first so who cares! I'm doing this for the achievement of completing the distance not to run 9 minute miles! (in my bloody dreams!!!) A friend of mine ran 5k in 22:57 the other day, I am more than happy to admit that I will never achieve that pace, I'll just keep chugging away at my 12 minute miles!!!

Last Thursday was Regency runners Christmas party. The leaders had done a wonderful job of decorating the room, music and some lovely food for us all to munch on. It was a great night and was great to meet up with everyone in normal clothes, even though I don't think we all recognised each other out of our unflattering lycra! I came away from the night with a lovely surprise. the leaders had given out awards to members of the group for various reasons......magnificent marshall, gadget girl and little miss giggles off the top of my head, and I received the "Be careful what you wish for" award for gaining entry to the London Marathon through the ballot (first time lucky?!?!)
It was also given to me by my sister Helen who is a leader so it made it extra special!


So now, with Chrismas this weekend, I have a 12 mile run to look forward to on Boxing day, and a 13 mile run to look forward to on New Years Day! I have mapped routes for these already and I think I have been clever and have chosen out and backs along the canal tow path to keep it flat. I have also borrowed a running belt off a friend to see how I get on with it and to carry drinks and gels along with me. So I think I have been well organised and clever, we will see how clever I think I have been afterwards!!!

Merry Christmas everyone, updates in the New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment