Pages

Wednesday 21 December 2011

10k Training update - 1 week to go!

After having such a tough week last week I didn't see this coming, one of the most positive weeks I've had in a long time! Great news!
The week started with me pushing my training plan to one side, convincing myself that I was too busy. I knew that I wasn't, and that I needed to do something about it pretty quickly.
On my training plan I had a 3 mile run planned. I went out with a friend and ran a new route, something that I love to do. We were able to have a chat, clear our heads and more importantly, have fun! We ran the three miles in 34 minutes, and although we had a chatty run at a slower pace, we both shut up for the last half a mile and our competitive nature took over as we pushed each other back!  (I won, for once - think she let me!)
So then Thursday came. Tonight was a night that I had been dreading for weeks, 10k time trial around Leamington and Warwick with running group. I never wear a watch when I run, I want to have fun not be constantly looking at my watch trying to do maths and run! I can't do maths at the best of times!!  In saying that I still wanted to get an idea of the speed that I was running and the improvement that I had made over the last few months, so I downloaded the Endomondo app onto my phone and shoved it into my pocket where I couldn't think about it for the rest of the run.
The run itself was pretty steady, and was reasonably flat until 3 miles where we then faced 3 lovely hills! Most of the group had run ahead, but in true running group style marshall's had been organised around the course and luckily for us they were all people that we knew well and who were very vocal as we ran past each mile. From about mile 3 I starting hurting, then remembered advice from my sister, "run up those hills like you're on a treadmill, keep your head up and use your arms" and all of a sudden they didn't feel so hard. As we hit the last mile we had a lovely downhill into town where we saw Rachel, a group leader coming back to help people 'run in'. I didn't realise that we had increased our pace during this last mile until Rachel told us we were running at 10.5kph, now for me that is good pace, at the end of a 10k that is great pace!
We kept this pace up until the last 50 metres when Rachel said to change gear. I didn't even think about it or try moaning, I just turned that run into a full sprint and bolted, finishing in 1:08, a great time for a slowy like me! Now I have something to aim for at my first official 10k this coming weekend. I was on such a high after finishing I was close to crying after overcoming such a rough week last week.
So, I finished my week off with spin class (my favourite session of the week!) and an early 6 miler on a foggy Sunday morning, where I got to try out my new hi-vis running jacket and running socks. Both of which were surprisingly great as I'm a creature of habit and don't like change! All in all a great week, bring on the 10k! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment