Pages

Friday 6 January 2012

A mixed bag this week!

It's been a bit of a mixed bag this week, it didn't start off very well at all!

So, New Years Day I was up and eating my weetabix with honey at 7am getting ready to get out the door running. Something didn't feel right, mentally I didn't want to go out, and started to convince myself I wouldn't be able to do it, I mean 13 miles is a long way. I had arranged to meet the girls at 9.30 for an 8 mile run, but I was going to run 5 miles before I met them so the plan was to leave just before 8.30 to make sure I was definately on time.
I set off on what was a pretty easy route, I like to run along the canal on long runs as its pretty flat and away from the traffic, plus it's a little softer under foot. After a mile or so I still hadn't settled down, and was struggling to get my pace right, I was also getting odd pains in my ankles up the side of my legs which was really off putting and it affected my pace, at this rate I would struggle to get to the meeting point on time so I pushed on a little. The pains in my ankles seems to go after a couple of miles, but as soon as that had gone my left hip started pounding again, great! Instead of going after a mile of so, it got worse, so when I met the girls I made the decision to bail out and run home. I know that I would have pushed through the whole 13 miles, but I would have really suffered for it so decided to be sensible, not like me at all!! I was gutted not to have stuck to the training plan, but figured it was best not to hurt myself in the process.

I was in a bit of pain Monday but not as much as I expected. I bough some Natures Kiss recovery cream and plastered my knees, ankles and hip which really helped.
Tuesday night is running night so as per my training plan I needed to run 5 miles. Perfect. I could run down to running group which is two miles, then run 3 miles with group before catching a lift home. I didn't have any pain tonight in my ankles or hip but I could feel it, how much of it was in my head I'm not sure but I was definately holding back, I know this because I couldn't keep up with my running buddies and was running at the back, this hasn't happened in ages. I found myself making excuses like I hadn't drunk enough and then telling myself it was ok as I was running 5 miles whilst they were running 3. It wasn't ok, and I can do better. I ran the same route a few weeks ago 4 minutes quicker. Time to have a word with myself!!
I went home that night and logged onto to the gyms website, damn it, they have moved all the classes about! I booked a couple of spin classes for next week, that should sort me out.

So Thursday came round and I decided again to run into group, 3 miles and then run home to make up the 7 miles that I needed to run that evening. Something felt different when I started running, I was enjoying it again. I'd hated the last two runs so this was exciting! I felt able to push myself a little and feeling breathless felt great (odd I know) so even running up the hill on the way onto Leamington I kept an eye on my watch and didn't drop my pace, I nearly collapsed at the top so was glad that I had to wait a few seconds at the top to cross the road. I decided at this point to split the run into three, so instead of running a 7mile run, I would run a 2, then and 3, then another 2, this should help me up the pace a bit rather than plodding on!
When I got round to our meeting point in Leamington I ran in and paid, then asked if I could carry on, being a slower member of the group I figured that I would be caught up before the three miles were up anyway! So off I went, this felt loads better than Tuesday and I was able again to push myself through this next three miles and get my heart rate up. About half way round my hip start to pound again but I put it out of my mind, I had this in the bag and I wasn't going to let it beat me! I carried on round expecting at any moment for the faster runners of the group to pass me but as I got further round they still haven't passed, wonder if I had gone the wrong way?? Just when I got to the bottom of the hill by the park I was passed, bum! Nevermind, might as well push on and finish before I see anyone else! I finished 3 minutes faster than Tuesday, hooray!
I hadn't noticed the pain in my hip again until I finshed, it was quite sore. As I had run well I decided not to tempt fate and got a lift home. Knowing me I would have fallen over or something stupid had I tried!
My training plan has a 14 miles run this weekend, but I have decided to do a 10 mile run (jog/shuffle!) with a couple of the girls from group. If I feel good then I will do a couple of extra miles at the end but I as I don't want to set myself up to fail so 10 miles it is!!

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog. Even though we talk about your runs during our training it's great to read what you were really thinking :D

    ReplyDelete