Pages

Sunday 12 February 2012

Getting the mileage back up there!

I knew that these next few weeks were going to be quite tough, and probably the make or break of if I was going to run London Marathon or not. I needed to up my mileage, but gradually, the only thing is, I haven't got time for gradually, I need to get back up to double figures, and fast!
Monday I decided on spin class, I know I keep harping on about this but it is such a good workout and so much fun. I don't know how I think working out until I'm close to being sick and sweat is pouring out of me is so much fun, but it really is! The instructors are great and really push you to work hard, so after those intervals yesterday I better start running faster!
Tuesday as always is running with Regency Runners. The route tonight went straight past my house so I decided to run in to town with Jo to the meeting point at the Pump Rooms and then carry on with the group until we past my house again, which is 5 miles exactly. It was a good run, even though it was down the dreaded Myton Road which I seem to run all the time, as I live so close to it, at an average of 11.49 minute miles, so the pace is getting there....or so I thought!

Thursdays run came and it was an out and back. I don't mind saying that I'm not that keen on these runs, only as we run from Leamington into Warwick towards my house, so turning around and going back away from home is hard work! I decided not to run in tonight and went in to the Pump Rooms with my sister Helen as she had some paperwork stuff to do with the new runners so as she did this I took myself off round a mile loop to warm up.....it was freezing! During this run something didn't feel right, I couldn't get into it and I knew that it was going to be hard work all night! So I got back to the Pump Rooms and was given the route and instructions, 20 minutes run into Warwick, as far as you can get, hear the whistle and turn back, and beat your time back. Humph. I do this route all the time running in and out of town, so I know every bump in the road, every incline, which bits I find hard etc, so this wasn't going to be fun! I was right, it was bloody horrible. I couldn't keep up, again, and my hip started to hurt. I got back to the Pump Rooms and I felt so deflated, and close to tears. All I could think was that I wasn't going to be ready, this damn hip was going to stop me.
We had also been forecast snow over the weekend, so I was unsure about how I was going to run and what mileage to try. I thought I would ask Rachel and she made it clear that I needed to get into double figures. Ok, so could I do this on the treadmill, in case it the snow is bad and not safe to run? No, those cold February runs in the snow will put you in good stead for the marathon! So, 10 miles on sunday no matter what the weather.....ouch!

I met Helen at the gym on Friday after work, and for an unknown reason decided on intervals on the rower. Urgh! I'd not done this for months and now I know why, I was nearly sick and it was not fun! I did a minute hard, 250m, and then a minute off. Now, the last time I did this at my old gym the rower travelled across the floor! Luckily for me, and the guys on the cross trainers behind me, the rower stayed where it was supposed to be! So, I got those intervals out the way and realised that I hadn't got a drink, so went to steal some from Helen. The bottle was empty so I went to refill, great, the water machine was broken so took myself off to the squash centre to refill there. I really must learn where to place my feet, as when I stepped off the stairs something went wrong and I tripped over nothing and landed flat on my face, to a cheer from about 20 squash players, ok good. So I pretended nothing had happened and went to fill up the bottle, not before turning on the wrong tap and soaking my gym top and face, geez this evening wasn't going to plan!
So, I finished off the session with some weights. The session didn't get easier as for some reason I am now weak! One thing I always knew I could do was lift quite heavy weights, for a girl! Apparently not now, I was rubbish! I left the gym in a proper grump, then reluctantly finished the evening with some core work, bridges and planks, when I got home.

On Saturday I stayed at home and watched the snow come down, tomorrow was going to be fun, or maybe not so much! Regency Runners had no choice but to cancel their run, as it would not be safe.

Ok, so I was on my own for this, 10 miles in the snow, how was I going to get through this again??
I was really worried about two things, 1) falling over, which for me would not be unexpected and 2) my hip hurting. So, I had what I thought was a really good idea. St Nics park behind my house is exactly one mile, it is close to home just in case I manage to do something stupid, I'd just run that 10 times. Bloody stupid idea!
I realised after the first lap that this was going to be tough. I was only a mile in and my calves were burning, my pace was slow and I had come out without a drink. My house is 30 seconds walk from the park, but I knew if I had gone back home then I would have struggled to get going again, or get going at all. I don't know how I managed to keep going, if I wasn't running through deep, heavy snow its was wet slush. After the first couple of miles my feet were drenched and my feet were freezing cold. I'm glad that I had made the decision to wear capris, as my legs were getting splashed with ice but were able to dry quite quickly, rather than have material stuck to them getting colder and colder.
This was the slush :(

As I hit halfway, I didn't feel too bad. My pace was still slow, which I had resigned myself to by this point, I just wanted to get the distance in! The laps took me along the river for a short time, where the swans were hanging around. Now, I convinced myself they were bound to chase me like those two evil ones on the canal did! But they didn't, and they were actually a comforting sight as I passed them again and again. I even had the pleasure of two of them taking flight along side me which was a magnificent sight, that would have made a great photo, but as usual I thought that after they had flown off, typical. I had made some energy bites which I had with me and had one at 4,6 and 8 miles and they seemed to keep me going, the last few laps I actually felt quite stong and thought about doing another couple of laps......that though exited my head as quickly as it entered it! 10 laps and that was me done! I get back to find i was 0.12 away from the 10 miles, rubbish! But sod it, I was done! 9.88 miles in the snow was easily 13 miles in clear weather, right?!

Physcologically I think this was really good for me. All runners I know say that running laps is the hardest things to do, and I have always agreed with them. I tend to get defeated if I can't get my head right, so I was relishing this mental and physical challenge. The 10 mile long laps were so tough, but after 2 I think I just switched off and kept going. I mean, who else was stupid enough to be doing this on a Sunday morning in tonnes of snow??? Probably only the people stupid enough to enter the London Marathon??? So once I got back home smugarama set in and I felt great, and then realised, my hip was fine, after all those miles in the snow I had no pain at all!

Great news!!

3 comments:

  1. Keep saying the same thing: you are amazing!! I find it sooooo hard this winter! You are an example to everyone! Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Laura, yes you are incredible! Winter runs are so tough - even without slushy snow - keep it up.

    See you Tuesday:-)

    ReplyDelete